I love oatmeal and my husband loves artificially flavored oatmeal that is packed with sugar. We gave up sugar for lent so I wanted to find a good alternative to his idea of a “healthy” breakfast. Here is my 5 minute oatmeal that tastes as good as the name brand flavored oatmeals, but is so much better for you! Enjoy!!
Five Minute and One bowl Oatmeal
1. Roughly (I use a quick scooping motion so it isn’t exact) a 1/2 cup old fashioned oats.
2. 3/4 – 1 cup milk (any of your choice, we use cow’s milk). Feel free to add more or less depending on how soupy or dense you like your oatmeal.
3. A small handful of raisins. I use the palm of my hand to measure the amount.
4. 1 tsp or tbs of maple syrup. Again, this depends on how sweet you like your oatmeal. I put more in my husbands bowl.
5. 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce.
6. Microwave until tender. Our microwave takes about 3 min..Hence the 5 minute idea, because adding the ingredients takes no time at all. Don’t feel like you have to be super precise.
7. For the finishing touch, stir the oatmeal and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
I love this simple, quick, and healthy breakfast! I know you’re family will too! P.S. The raisins usually go over well with little ones.